Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Consumer Treadmill

I went to CVS today because I knew there was something I needed to pick up and I needed cash back. I didn't want to spend the two dollar ATM fee for a few dollars cash. I went in, scanned my CVS card to see if there were any coupons available and it printed two. One for a dollar off an hair care product and the other for one dollar off of an allergy remedy. I don't often get allergies and I generally use herbs to treat them so I looked for some gel for my son's hair. (Lately, it is very important that his hair be spiky so the girls will think he is cool. He is five.) I found a generic detangler for my daughter's thick curls and some "stiff gel" to fashion the best spikes ever. I also bought dryer sheets because they were on sale, some disposable "night time underpants" for the little one who is still having trouble, and a San Pellegrino sparkling water for my own personal refreshment. With the coupons and the sales I "saved" 7.00. Plus, I saved 2.00 for the ATM fee right?

As I was checking out, I noticed the granola guy in front of me with a reusable bag from the library. "How nice", I thought, and cursed myself for not remembering my own bags. Then I looked at his cart and saw the huge case of bottled water he was purchasing. "Hmmm... that's funny, I thought some more, " Why would he purchase disposable water bottles and yet, bring a reusable bag? Why not just buy a water bottle and re-fill it?" (Not paying any attention to the bottle in my own hand.)

I go through this incredibly boring lunch break encounter only because it really made me look at my behavior. First of all, before I went to CVS I had no particular item in mind that I needed. I had a sneaking suspicion that I needed something (and later decided it was the Pull-Ups) but really didn't have any feeling of lack in my life other than needing cash and not wanting to drive to my bank or pay ATM fees. In an effort to SAVE money, I actually SPENT 32.00. Also, I spent 32.00 for things that I didn't REALLY NEED. Nor are these things helpful to the planet i.e. plastic water bottle, plastic hair care bottles, the chemicals in hair care products, disposable diapers, dryer sheets. These are all normal things that I, and millions of other Americans, purchase. Why is it all of a sudden bothering me?

It's that damn conscience. Also, I watched the movie, No Impact Man, and haven't been able to stop thinking about my bad habits. I wanted to get this drugstore trip on paper so I could clearly see how absurd it was. To top it all off, the reason I needed cash was to pay for our Girl Scout Cookies! AKA: Junk food that my daughter is required to sale to teach her about “character and leadership”. More and more, I am so frustrated by the things I have bought as true or necessary. We have been so programmed to consume. I feel like I still have so much to learn. I suppose being conscious of your choices is the first step. Like the granola guy, buying a case of bottled water, some things are harder to change than others.

We have a compost bucket at the house now. We've been better about recycling. We have two families living in one house, so that is somewhat carbon cutting. I just want to make better choices BEFORE I spend unnecessary money. I want to NOT FORGET in a couple of months. I need to get some kind of plan or system in place to replace my current habits with better ones.
I will let you know when I come up with something. If you have ideas, shoot me. I am obviously in need of some help.

1 comment:

Ani Reina said...

Hey,
This is my first time reading your blog. My Women's Studies professor posted a youtube video of you on her facebook. :)

Anyway, I keep a log of every purchase I make. Not just total but a little note about what I bought. I feel this helps me stay aware.